New User

Joe Isom jsi at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 25 22:56:23 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm new to Linux.  I just installed redhat 9 on my machine.  (I'M SICK
OF WINDOWS ME AND DON'T WANT TO PAY ALL THAT MONEY FOR AN UPGRADE!!!
I'LL TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT.)  I did the standard installation, and
I seem to have most everything going okay so far except for a couple of
issues.

I have Adelphia Powerlink.  As you can see, I've got my EMAIL going okay
once again.  And I can go to any site under redhat.com.  However, if I
try to go anywhere but a redhat site, I get a "connection refused"
message.

Also, when I first log in to redhat at the gui, I get the following
message:

"Could not look up internet address for dhcp-124-6.  This will prevent
GNOME from operating correctly.  It may be possible to correct the
problem by adding dhcp-124-6 to the file/etc/hosts."

This "dhcp-124-6" seems to be the host name that was automatically set
when I did the installation.

I feel like the problems I'm experiencing are probably elementary in
nature, but I can't find what to do in the "Redhat Linux 9 Bible," which
is the only resource I have right now.

If you are wondering how I found out about NFLUG if I can't go anywhere
but redhat.com, I did the research from my work computer.

Also, I'm interested in possibly going to the next NFLUG meeting.  Is it
still the same time and location as what is listed at the NFLUG website?

Thank you for your help.

Joe Isom
East Amherst