adelphia blocking www

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Jul 21 23:43:37 EDT 2003

They're blocking port 80 HTTP requests.  Easy enough to do on most ISP
level router.  Thus, effectively blocking users from setting up personal
or business websites on their service when the customer is not paying
for that value-added service.  Blocking HTTP requests, does not mean
that packets without HTTP headers will be blocked... so it's quite easy
and possible that a machine will get TCP Syn packets into a
machine/firewall.  Adelphia's changing of IP addresses helps to
guarantee people cannot run dedicated services from their home systems.

If people are/were allowed to run services from their home IP's, and the
company isn't making money by allowing that service, then they're losing
money.  That's not my opinion, but that's the opinion of many of the
ISP's in the Buffalo area.  In the face of Adelphia's monetary issues,
they're probably just starting to iron out their network and trying to
make more money.

Just my opinionated outlook... don't pay heed to it if ya don't want to.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */