Gentoo Linux

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Jan 20 22:26:13 EST 2003

Is anyone out there using Gentoo Linux?

I'm having some issues, and am looking for some advice, or someone that
was in the same boat :) I have a Mini-PC (Shuttle SK41G), with onboard
RJ45/Sound/Video/etc, etc.

When I use the LiveCD (rc2), I am unable to get the RJ45 port to correctly
identify & work.  It's a Realtek chipset & uses the 8139too.o module.

When the LiveCD boots, it fails to identify the chip & loads several other
non-related network modules.  After I correctly load the module, dmesg
shows that it's correctly detected.

When I run dhcpcd eth0, it pauses for a bit & then nothing.  If I
manually set the IP/netmask/gateway info, I can see the config via
ifconfig.  But ping fails on everything except localhost & the eth0
assigned IP.

Both RedHat 7.3, and Knoppix have been used, and both correctly identify &
assign a DHCP address to this Realtek chip.

Sorry for the length.  But it's a LiveCD, with limited debugging tools (no
tcpdump, strings, syslog, etc).  And the CD requires an internet
connection to continue the installation.

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me