Server Crash?

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 15:00:09 EST 2003

Well, a total system poweroff is tough to troubleshoot.  There
will be no logs unless a real shutdown/poweroff occurred from the
kernel.  Typically, a sudden stopping of the machine is due to power
problems or hardware issues.

Remember that just 'cuz you have a UPS, doesn't mean that it is
working correctly.  I had a messed up UPS frag several DIMMS on me
before we figgered out what was happening.  No error from the UPS but
it was generating a massive spike every time power tripped from the
input supply.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Bob
--- Justin Bennett <Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com> wrote:

<HR>
Just had a wierd thing happen. I had a server (linux redhat 7.2) go down,
it's strange though the server was completly off. I've seen linux crash
before, where you get a memory dump on the screen,&nbsp;but never where
the system powers it's self off. The system is attached to a large UPS so
even though we've had some lights flickering&nbsp;due to near by
construction I don't believe this is the issue. I see nothing in
/var/log/messages. Just a 4 minute gap. Any ideas where I could look for
more information? <BR><BR>Justin<BR>--
Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer<BR>Network Administrator<BR>Dynabrade
Inc.<BR>8989 Sheridan Dr<BR>Clarence, NY 14031<BR>716-631-0100 ext 215

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.
36 Cayuga Blvd