Redhat 8.1

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Mon Jan 13 16:50:35 EST 2003

Cyber Source wrote:
> i saw a couple of things about it, mostly in foreign languages right now
> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:50, Riga, Anthony wrote:
>
>>I heard that the Redhat 8.1 beta version is out is this true? has anyone started using it? Ive read some good things about it!

Yeah, I've been playing with it. The beta came out last week, it's
called "phoebe".

I need to get the ISO images because I messed up my bit-by-bit upgrade.
However, it was bootable, etc.

First impression: this thing was so fast it blew my socks off. You can
now use my socks for parachutes. This is mainly due to the native POSIX
thread implemtation, and the (0)1 scheduler. Also, I'm sure Oracle is
happy with the asynchronous I/O.

Example? upon reboot, I fsck'd an 80Gb, 7200 RPM drive in less than 10
minutes (!)

Graphical response made my GeForce 4 sweat. The room heated up.

Now, all I have to do is get my install figured out, I'm not gonna wait
for the "official" release.

Problem: I want the ISO's, but not on my dialup. Maybe over the weekend
I'll haul all my stuff over to my Dad's - he's got Powerlink.

--
"Truly, if Te is strong in one, all one needs to do is sit on one's ass,
and the corpse of one's enemy shall be carried past shortly."