Has anyone tried this or something similar?

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Sun Feb 9 18:36:51 EST 2003

Justin Bennett wrote:
> I've played with things like Spam assasin which does the same thing on the
> server side. These things are only as good as their rules. They look for
> certain things to judge if it is spam or not. Many people in the to field,
> unsubrscribe links (then this list could be marked as spam), certain key
> words (then spammers start replacing 'o' with zeros)ect. n the end it
> works ok, Spam assisin flags what it thinks is spam and you have to delete
> it or not. You can have it move to a differnt folder so it's not in your
> inbox.If you automatically delete mail you run the risk of deleteing stuff
> thats not really spam, nothing is going to be 100%. In the end only you
> can judge if it is spam or not.
>
> Joseph Lukasiewicz said:
>
>>Q1) If I don't keep on top of my inbox I have hundreds of junk e-mail
>>messages in there.  Has anyone tried this or a similar product and have
>>they had any luck? Q2) I was wondering if a second Linux list was going
>>to be started just for meeting announcements?  I love the back and forth
>>but some times it's 10 messages a day, and I feel like I catch the tail
>>end of the conversation so I can't quite get the gist of the
>>conversation.  Would a CHAT room facility offer a better vehicle for
>>these conversations? Just wondering.
>>Joe Lukasiewicz
>> Annie at TurboRocketOffers
>><AnnieatTurboRocketOffers-replyto-366-135875581 at lists.zoanmail.com>
>>wrote:To:
>>From: "Annie at TurboRocketOffers"
>>
>>Subject: Wipe Out Junk eMail Forever
>>Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:16:03 GMT
>>

>>You received this message because you are registered with
>>TurboRocketOffers.  You are subscribed as jlukasiewicz at yahoo.com.
>>To unsubscribe, click here or send an email to:
>>word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.  Delivered by zoanmail.com.

>>Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now

Funny thing, I'm dealing with SpamAssasin right now (just installed it
-- I need to check the docs) and also using privoxy under RH8. I've
heard good things about bogofilter too; it's a Bayesian filter by Eric
Raymond, there's a few RPM's floating around for it.

I'll let you know what I find out since the spamming here is so massive;
2 weeks >= 1000 messages.... of which maybe only a dozen were actually
desired. And no, I *refuse* to change my addy... because I shouldn't
have to.

--
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."
		-- Richard M. Stallman