The year was 1957

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Dec 25 14:29:45 EST 2003

Being a total geek, I adjusted the costs for inflation (about 6.66x)
pretty interesting seeing what truly has gone up or down:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's
going
to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

                        $133.20 – This is pretty much dead on with
buying a weeks worth of grocery’s today (for a family I’m assuming)

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year?
It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

                        $13,320 – Fairly reasonable current price of new
cars

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit.
A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

            $1.66 – Cigarettes are much more than that (but since I
don’t smoke, I can’t be positive). I believe however that the higher
cost is in the taxes versus the actual product.

"Did you hear the post office is thinking a bout charging a dime just to

mail a letter?"

                        $.66 – The post office has kept the price of
stamps considerably _lower_ than the corresponding inflation adjusted
equivalent

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire
outside
help at the store."
            $6.66 – The current minimum wage is $5.15, so it’s pretty
much in line

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday
cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the
garage."

                        $1.93 – Yes, even gasoline is not excessively
expensive today

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for
$75,000
a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be
making more than the president."

            $499,500 – Aren’t ball player making millions? they seem to
be quite ahead of inflation!

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend.
It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

                        $100/night – fairly much inline with hotels.
Motels however are still in the $35 range

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too

rich for my blood."

                        $233 – seems fairly correct

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

               $3.33 – Well I know that when I get my hair cut at the
“salon” it costs me a whopping $20.00!
going to the local barber is a much more palatable $10.00, still, of all
things, hair cuts seem to be one of the highest
cost increases!

-Mark

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.