Mozilla 1.4 install

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 26 13:21:44 EDT 2003

> I had done that, but it was a bit too weird for me.  My Mozilla shortcut
> points to /usr/share/applink-mdk/Networking/WWW/Mozilla.desktop .
> I have no idea what that's about.  It must be some menu software that
> Mandrake has invented for the desktop.  If it had pointed to a regular
> executable program, I could have reeducated it and been done.

Yeah, probably some pre-made desktop icon for it. You could always make
your own desktop shortcut for it.

> When I made desktop shortcuts myself (in KDE), I get a gear icon for all
> of them, not the program's own icon.   Do you know how to get around this?

I'm a Gnome user, but usualy most of these icons grab the image they use
from a directory like "/usr/share/pixmaps". Try a "locate share |grep
mozilla" and you should see a lot of image files used as icons.

For those that don't know, "piping" = "|" and "grep" are something you
should become familar with. To pipe something is to take the output from
one program/command and send it as input to another. "grep/egrep" is a
pattern searching utility, very useful.

So above I asked the locate database to find any matches to "share" then
sent the results to grep which narrowed it by finding matches with
"mozilla".

It's fairly easy to make your own icon if you can't find one you like.
Usually they are pgn files of some set size like 40x40,48x48, etc. Use
GIMP to edit some image you find and save it. Then edit your shortcut to
use it.

KEG