Mozilla 1.4 install

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Aug 26 00:47:22 EDT 2003

Thanks.   Replies interspersed.

Joe

Kevin E. Glosser wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 13:05, Joe wrote:
>

>>(where locate found all the stuff that looked like mozilla executabes).
>>

>"locate/slocate" is a database that doesn't dynamically update itself as
>far as I am aware. It has to be told to update itself by issuing a
>"updatedb" command from root or it has to be scheduled to automatically
>occur at regular time intervals.
>
>"locate" might be displaying what used to be in that directory.

I put updatedb  in a weekly cron job to avoid that problem a while ago.
Also, I went to the dir and the stuff was there.

>>I went back to normal user (bigbird) and my desktop icons for Mozilla
>>are still there and take a while to try to execute and then just terminate.
>>

>The old shortcuts may be pointing to the wrong location or to a filename
>that no longer exists. Have you tried right clicking on them, looking
>for "properties" and seeing if the target and name of the file is valid?

I had done that, but it was a bit too weird for me.  My Mozilla shortcut
points to /usr/share/applink-mdk/Networking/WWW/Mozilla.desktop .
I have no idea what that's about.  It must be some menu software that
Mandrake has invented for the desktop.  If it had pointed to a regular
executable program, I could have reeducated it and been done.

>>How do I get my user desktop icons working again and get it to access
>>all the stuff in /home/bigbird/.mozilla and in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?
>>

>There are usually two places you can put plugin files. One is usually a
>global location, the other is per user. It should be easy to find, it
>should be a directory named "plugins". On your old install, if it's in a
>different directory, you might be able to copy over the files from the
>"plugins" directory to the new one.
>
>If you want to see which plugins are installed or recognized by your
>browser, try "about:plugins" in the location bar of your browser.
>
>Sorry, I didn't offer any specific help to your issues with fixing the
>Mozilla install. I don't use it. Therefore, don't have experience
>installing it. However, I do run Firebird 0.6.1 and the installation was
>simply downloading the tar file, extracting it, copying plugin files and
>fixing desktop shortcuts.

When I made desktop shortcuts myself (in KDE), I get a gear icon for all
of them, not the program's own icon.   Do you know how to get around this?
The only way I found so far was if the program was in the KDE start menu
(and firebird was not).  When I drag and drop from the strat menu, I get
the right icon, but a lot of programs don't get put into that menu.

>Firebird is just a browser though, no mail or news. It's also a pre 1.0
>release, unlike Mozilla 1.4.

I have a version of Firebird.  It's nice and works on a lot of pages
that give Mozilla 1.3 problems.  The probem is that I do most of my
browsing from links in email and I don't know enough to make Mozilla
mail use Firebird (or Galeon, for that matter) instead of Mozilla.  If I
could do that, I might switch browsers - although it seems that most of
the nice plugins for media etc. seem to be for Netscape/Mozilla.