scsi tape drive

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 20:49:49 EDT 2003

Is it internal or external?  Is  the SCSI bus terminated pro[perly at BOTH
ends.  IS the tape drive have the proper interface with respect tot he
controller? (SCSI, SCSI-II, WIDE-SCSI, ULTRA-WIDE, (LVD, HVD, SE modes?))

some you can mix and match (LVD controller can work in SE mode, but not in HVD
mode), but you can't put HVD scsi devices on an LVD or SE bus and expect them
to be detected.. Many external tape drives (esp older ones) are High Voltage
Differential (HVD) and won't work with most consumer SE (single ended) or LVD
(low voltage differential) controllers..  Lookup the part number of the drive
on the 'net and find out exactly what SCSI interface it uses, and make sure
your controller uses a compatible interface.  If you don't know, post the info
here, and someone will tell you if it should work or not..

--- "Riga, Anthony" <Anthony.Riga at searbrown.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get Redhat 9.0 to detect my Eliant tape drive for backups. It
> detects the scsi card but how do I get it to detect the tape drive? I did cat
> /proc/scsi/scsi and it didnt detect anything. I also did mt -f /dev/st0 etc
> and no luck. Is the Eliant tape drive compatable? Thanks

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk