mounting a partition that's located inside a disk (cd) image

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 9 11:08:05 EDT 2003

this one is a little complicated and not at all trivial.

solaris has 3 network installation options JumpStart, ftp and http.
while it may not seam like it at first glance but the jumpstart method
is going to be the easiest method. why you ask, because to install
solaris via ftp and/or http REQUIRES the use of a Flash archive. to make
a flash archive you need to have solaris installed on an existing server
and run the flarcreate command. for the jumpstart server you need an
intall server which has the files copied from the cdrom and a bootp/dhcp
server.

you can skip the install cd, all you need is software cd's 1 and 2.  you
can start everything from #1, there are scripts in the Tools directory
call setup_install_server which copy all the files to a location on you
hard drive. this scripts should work in linux even though they are
written for solaris system. there is a script called
setup_install_client which is used to setup the /etc/ethers,
/etc/bootparams, and /tftpboot images. again these scripts expect the
install server to be solaris.

you should be able to mount the cdroms as iso9660. this sounds like a
fun excersize, if you'd like some assistance let me know!!