Sisela

mpo1 mpo1 at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 27 11:17:40 EDT 2003

I was in N.Y.C. this week otherwise I would have replied to this thread
sooner. I have a simple peer-to-peer wireless network set up for my
desktop and notebook PCs'.  Being a newbie to linux it was quite a
challenge to get it working, but persistance and patience paid off. I
would first suggest you go to www.linuxquestions.org and do a search on
wireless networking, you should find a ton of info from those threads.
They have a fellow there named 'Finegan' that seems pretty informed
about linux and wireless. You should be able to find out which wireless
cards work best and which don't, and they can probably explain things
better than I could.

When  I bought my laptop from Dell I purchased their 'TrueMobile'
wireless cards which were made for them by Orinoco. Using hindsight
(20/20 vision) it wasn't all that difficult. Where I tripped up was
after I set everything up and edited the 'lilo.conf' and saved it, I
didn't know you had to open up a terminal and enter the command
"/sbin/lilo" to make those changes permenant. That one little oversight
caused me all kinds of grief and time trying to get it working, but I
kinda laugh now everytime I think about it.

If I can help you in any way let me know. This is probably the only area
of linux where I _'might'_ be of help to anyone as I spent a long time
on it :-)

Mike