Upgrading my system - rfc

Joe josephj at buffnet.net
Sat Apr 19 01:36:12 EDT 2003

Hi.  I'm finally going to get a new computer.  I have a quote from
CompUSA for the following system.  They say it should be Linux
compatible, but, of course, do not guarantee it.  I'm looking for
comments or anything you may notice that might be more optimal or a
potential source of trouble.  Or, any questions I should ask them.

I plan to use the system for word processing, Internet & email, Personal
Video Recorder, website development (for my site coming within the next
year), network backup for my notebook computer, general multimedia, midi
composition, recording, and playback, contact management, and probably a
bunch of other stuff I haven't thought of yet.
Unless I find a reason to change, I'll probably be dual boot Mandrake
9.1 and Windoze XP Home Edition.   If things go well enough, I might try
to run my Windoze contact manager under Wine or maybe use Vmware or
Plex-86 etc. to run both OS's at once.  I also will be doing some
desktop publishing of brochures, fliers, a newsletter, and a catalog.

TIA  Joe

Motherboard ASUS S478 P4B533 SND
Processor      Intel P4 2.40 GHz 533 MHz 512K
Memory        512MB PC2100
HD               WDC 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB
DVD            Toshiba DVDRW/CDRW
Floppy          Samsung 1.44MB
Eth                DLink DFES30TX+ 10/100 PCI
Sound           Soundblaster Live 5.1
Video            ATI Radeon XXXX All-In-Wonder (lost the model number,
but it's the new one (newer than the 7500))
Modem         US Robotics 56K PCI Modem
Chassis         Generic with 4 front 5 1/4 bays, 2 front usb 2.0's power
and reset, 350W power supply

I'm putting my Kogi 17" LCD Monitor on it and a Cirque Wave Keyboard 2
on it (has a Glidepoint touch pad on it)