And more backup

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 23:30:30 EDT 2003

Thanks Darin and Bob for all the help.  I found out that the different devices
represent the option of rewind or not rewinding /dev/st0 rewinds when written
to and /dev/nst0 does Not rewind allowing data to be written at end of current
data.

I am using the st0 device for full backups but can use the nst0 for incremental
since I dont have enough tapes to switch daily and may want to go back a few
days in a restore.

I am currently running a full backup of my whole system (sans proc and a few
other dirs) and I excluded my home dir since I backed that up yesterday with a
diff tape.  Once i have the system backup up my goal is to back up the homes
drives every week or so and the system only once a month or so.

I spent some time reading about amanda.  I may well give that a try once I get
more comfortable with the "old-fashioned way" :-)

JJN