Amanda

Jeremiah Randolph jeremiah.randolph at cognigencorp.com
Fri Sep 27 12:23:46 EDT 2002

Bob,
    You can get the latest release of amanda 2.5(kinda beta) or 2.4.2
(tested), untar and do a

./configure --with-user=username --with-group=groupname(works well if
this groupname is same as the group that has perms on the drive likie
/dev/hda1) --with-index-server=servername (only if you want to turn on
indexing) --with-tape-server=servername

**note: you can do a client install only if you add --without-server to
the config line.

after config finnishes:
make
make install

you might need to create the user amanda and put them in the group
stated above.

in the amanda home dir, create a file called .amandahosts -- in here put
  something like the following,

tapeservername.home.com username
tapeservername username

** you need the qualified and unqualified names and the user stated on
the config line goes after the servername

For the server you need a directory created in the amanda home with a
backup set name (doesn't matter what it is) you can copy the example
directory and then just modify it to your needs.  Most of whats in the
amanda.conf file stays the same, except for number of tapes in cycle,
tape lable, directory paths, any dump types you create.  You also need a
disklist file which contains the servername, diskname /dev/hda1,
dumptype (always-full, root,...), and any comments.  Also needed is a
tapelist, but amanda will create this.

in /etc you need to add these lines to the services file:
amanda          10080/udp
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

In /etc/inetd.conf add these lines:
#
# Amanda Services
#
amandaidx stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amindexd amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped amidxtaped
amanda dgram udp wait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amandad amandad

**if you use xinetd.d create 3 files that are the following:
amandad:
service amanda
  {
      socket_type        = dgram
      protocol           = udp
      wait               = yes
      user               = amanda
      group              = disk
      server             = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
      disable            = no
      groups             = yes
      }

amandaidx:
service amandaidx
{
         socket_type     = stream
         protocol        = tcp
         wait            = no
         user            = amanda
         group           = system_dependant
         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
         disable         = no
         groups          = yes
}

amidxtape:
service amidxtape
{
         socket_type     = stream
         protocol        = tcp
         wait            = no
         user            = amanda
         group           = system_dependant
         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
         disable         = no
         groups          = yes
}

You will then need to restart inetd.

Also make sure /etc/vfstab is readable by amanda.

At this point you should be able to test a backup by running as amanda,
amcheck backup_set_name
This will run checks for holding disk space and if the tape is correct
and if it can reach the server and machine to be backedup.

I think I have included it all, if you still have questions or need more
of an exaple (as far as the files go) please let me know.

--Jeremiah

--
                        \\\|///