NFS Issue

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Oct 15 08:56:20 EDT 2002

I believe that RedHat 6.2 defaulted to NFS2 for server/client connections.
NFS3 support wasn't added to the kernel src until around 2.2.17 (me
thinks).

2 things you can do:

1) Upgrade the kernel to 2.2.19 (should be a redhat rpm for that if you
don't like src compiling).

2) Upgrade the NFS utils to .3.3.x (this should allow NFS3 support).

If the utils don't implement NFS3, you can modify the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs
file, and force NFS3 support.

On a separate note, you can also increase the read/write packet size for
NFS shares via the mount command (rsize=8192,wsize=8192).  I believe the
default data size on the 2.2.19 kernel is 4092.

Hope this helps.
-Rob

> Ok I've got a sever just used for backup, Its got the tape drives and some
> scsi drives for oracle exports. It was running 7.0 I believe, I upgrades
> it to 8.0 (nfs-utils-1.0.1-2, kernel-2.4.18-14). I have an NFS export to a
> Red Hat 6.2 (nfs-utils-0.1.6-2, kernel-2.2.14-5.0) box, oracle 8.17
> database server. I run an oracle Export to the NFS export share on the
> backup box. When it was running 7.0 the export took 45 minutes for a 15 GB
> database. Since I have upgraded to 8.0 it takes 6 hours and 45 minutes. I
> believe this is an NFS version issue. Can anybody confirm this, is there a
> work around? The 8.0 box is up2date, the 6.2 is not (oracle is very picky
> about glibc versions and such) I don't want to run up2date update
> something then hose my oracle production box.
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>

> --
> Justin Bennett