Mandrake - php nuke - and QT3(Nethack) - Flightgear

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 10:14:21 EST 2002

How do I love Mandrake, let me count the ways.

I recently reinstalled my work machine with mandrake 9.0 (much nicer than my
home machine where I tried to upgrade!)

Many services and features that were not working due to an inability to
communicate with MS proxy are workig now due to better proxy support (and some
manual file editing)

For those of you (like me) who are so used to apt-get you can't stop opening a
terminal every time you login, I have started using urpmi just like apt-get.

First check out plf.zarb.org/~nanardon and there is a way to select all the
various sources (main, plf, cooker, unsupported, contrib) and the urpmi line to
use is automagically created for you, just highlight, middle click in term and
boom all your sources are added (very much like /etc/apt/apt.sources).  THen I
HIGHLY recommend reading the urpmi man pages (urpmi, urpmq, urpmi.update etc).
also get familiar with /var/lib/urpmi/ and /var/cache/urpmi as they are great
sources of troubleshooting and "what's really happening beind the scenes stuff.

urpmi --auto-select --auto is very much like apt-get upgrade.  Of course you
shoudl update first but dont waste time updating all sources just update those
that you've taggedd as being "update" sources (after reading the manpages
urpmi.addmedia:-)

also try out http://trylinuxsd.com/  it has some excellent how to's on some
popular software and fun things to do with lots of pictures. It also assumes
access to PLF and contrib sources (non-officially supported stuff).

The site above has  a PHP-nuke walkthru.  I'm gonna try it at home on my lan to
get familiar with it (I wanted a way to try MySQL since I'm tryingto learn that
right now too)  Can we use PHP-Nuke for NFLUG?  It would be great to be able to
update stories, How To as and keep a running dialog on topics we are interested
in? (Darin give me a shout ! :-)

Anybody good with QT and Nethack, the nethack_QT frontend is my favorite way to
play, but Man9.0 has QT3 and it doesnt work since NH  looks for libqt.so.2
(found in qt2.2/3) THe developer told me I coudl copy libqt.so.2 to /usr/lib
and it shoudl work or compile NH for QT3, I can't find libqt.so.2 on andrake
8.2 cd's (although it shoudl be part of KDE2) and I have no idea how to compile
for QT3 (alkthough I did downoad NH source and am trying to read the INSTALL.
files , if I make progress I'll let you know

FLIGHTGEAR- Works great in Mandrake 9.0 and is urpmi 'able but you have to add
a contrib source (see above) I added Buf airport and flew around.  Now I HAVE
to have a yoke and pedals for X-mas!!!!

JJN