Samba

Todd Wirth todd at phyberoptiks.net
Sat May 4 00:35:37 EDT 2002

I'm not sure about RedHat, but you might want to check how nmbd is starting
up. Heres a section from nmbd man page that applies AFAIK:

-------
OPTIONS
       -D     If  specified,  this parameter causes nmbd to operate as a
daemon. That is, it detaches itself and runs in the background, fielding
requests on the appropriate port. By default,  nmbd  will operate  as  a
daemon  if  launched from a command shell.  nmbd can also be operated from
the inetd meta-daemon, although this is not recommended.
-------

This should solve your problem if it is being run from inet.d. Like I said
though, I'm not sure on how RedHat starts these up.

-- Todd

"Riga, Anthony" wrote:

> I am running Samba server dual boot with windoze 2000 with Redhat 7.1 now
because for the 5th time my Redhat 7.2 keeps crashing. I think I have a bad
distro. Every once in awhile my nmbd daemon stops running. How can I restart
it? When I use the command /etc/init.d/smb both say ok but when I look in
SWAT its not running. The only one running is smbd daemon. Can anyone
explain what I am doing wrong . I do test parm everything is fine I restart
xinet.d its fine.