Samba

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri May 3 08:20:09 EDT 2002

which versions of samba are you using. I believe 7.1 is 2.0.7 and 7.2 is the new 2.2 samba series. I had a lot of grief with samba 2.2 loosing connections, users would loose access to their files and shares from 2000 clients, ect. SO on my 7.2 samba server I downgraded to samba 2.0.7 (the one from 7.1 if I remeber correctly) so I would believe the Dist. is ok, just some problems with the samba packaged with it. I would look for a new samba package, or if you do a

rpm -qa |grep samba

on the 7.2 box it will tell you what version of samba, I may have a newver one (I'm beta testing skipjack (the new redhat release). It may have a better samba package.

Justin

"Riga, Anthony" wrote:

> I am running Samba server dual boot with windoze 2000 with Redhat 7.1 now because for the 5th time my Redhat 7.2 keeps crashing. I think I have a bad distro. Every once in awhile my nmbd daemon stops running. How can I restart it? When I use the command /etc/init.d/smb both say ok but when I look in SWAT its not running. The only one running is smbd daemon. Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong . I do test parm everything is fine I restart xinet.d its fine.

Justin Bennett
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Network Administrator
Dynabrade Inc.