Older cptrs

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Thu Mar 7 16:28:12 EST 2002

No intention on giving up on Mandrake, after all, 2 very easy, successful installs
previous to this, and the Win98 partitions are all still there!
Just ranting a bit at one of the hazards of using old hardware! ;-)  Still, it
seems easier for me to do the Slackware thing.  Also, being able to READ the
graphical lilo(?) screen helps! ;-)  Init3 was no problem, cause you get a simple
text console.  I <Ctrl><Alt><F2>'d to a text console, butI was rather disconcerted
that xf86config didn't work.  Again, I'm very used to Slackware, and when I saw
XFDrake, I assumed it would need "X" to run, and then it'd do psycho-video-thing
again.  So ... it's a Slackware box.  My daughter used the "newbie" menus.  It all
went well, except that she blew by the lilo install, so there was no lilo.conf when
she finished!  8-O  Goes to show that none of the installs is mistake proof! ;-)
Maybe I'll scrub the box and have her install Mandrake again.  Make her EARN those
kills in Quake!! ;-)
You've never used VI before?  Wow!  Slackware considers it a "required" component
and short of editing the installation scripts (using vi?), I don't think you can
exclude it!  RAID1 is what I use at work, VERY NICE on the dual ultra-SCSI's, but
I'm no expert at it, just applied the patch (an adventure in itself!), recompiled
and followed instructions VERY carefully!

Any of the hardware I mentioned be of any help?
See you Sunday!

-Greg