Little green lights

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 4 10:43:16 EST 2002

> Oh please, for the love of GOD, don't format your linux box.  Your Kmixer
> settings are stored in a .kde/ folder in your $HOME.  So either renaming
> the .kde folder, or just removing it, will force KDE to recreate it, and
> restore all KDE default settings upon the next Xwindows login.  Kmixer
> settings are not global to the system, just to the user.
>
> If you want to test this, just create a test user account, and login.
> Notice the differences.
>
 > What you need to do is contact the MOBO manufacturer & query them for the
> chipset info for your onboard, nonfunctioning devices.  Not knowing what
> chipset your trying to configure is like finding a needle in a haystack.
>

> Dege

As Rob points out this answer to your problem that I could have not given
you because
I don't have enough knowledge with Linux.
I appreciate this bit of info from Rob. I did not now how to do this or even
at this point
try to even attempt it because I don't know my way around the OS as well as
others.
I only mentioned that I wiped the system since my install of RedHat 7.2 was
a fresh install.
I did not intend to make it sound like my advice to you was that you should
wipe Mandrake 8.?
to correct your problem. I only wiped RedHat since I had no time invested in
installing any other software.

Also I forgot to answer this question you stated:

"Ron-
Opening Kmixer and unmuting and max volume was one of the
first solutions I found searching Mandrake User, but no mention
was made about NOT saving the settings, so I think I probably did.
Oh, well. I may have to wipe and reinstall [what I call Washing
Windows :-) "

First off I'll state here I'm in no way a guru.

Ok here it is: Not everything is listed in manual files, white pages, and
books for that matter, or even kept up to current.
I trusted my own instinct, common sense, and my modest skills at
troubleshooting. I messed it up 5 time trying to figure out what I'm doing
wrong. The install manual did not tell me all the little details I needed to
know. The users manual the same and so on. I did read them and followed
them, but trial & error are the mother of perfection or is that invention?
but I digress. I will one day be more proficient at Linux, but for now all I
can hope for is a little help along the way.

I hope that clears the issue.

Ron:)