Partition Question

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Thu Jun 27 10:30:53 EDT 2002

This is the way I do it. I put all samba share data under /export
(easier to keep track of for backups and such). I have:

/export/home - user homes
/export/proj - project area

Plus some others.

Under /export/proj i have project areas for say marketing, engineering,
automotive, sales, mis. ect.

the automotive and engineering are separate mount points (drives). If
you set it up in a hierarchy like this, if say one of the other area in
/export/proj, start getting to large (like sales) then we could replace
the /export/proj/sales directory with a separate mount point of new
drives.

Plus all being under /export instead of just in root, I can tar up all
export and get all user data, rather than trying to specify which
directories since they're all in root.

Just the way i do it.

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 10:01, Carl Yost Jr. wrote:
> Sorry for all the questions guys. This is my first attempt at using Linux in production except for internet stuff. Right now I have a total of 34 gigs of space to partition on the server. Tomorrow I will be tossing in another 18 gigs so that will bring us up to say 52. Anyone have some good advice on what mounts to use and how big? this will be the samba server so no matter what I will use a separate mount for all the company data say /HGC and have everything in there, home directories and all our data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Carl Yost Jr.
> IS Director
> Hamister Group of Companies
> (716) 881-4425
>
> --
> dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
Justin Bennett
Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
Network Administrator