Backup question for RedHat Samba Server

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Jun 21 09:34:56 EDT 2002

I use tar for our file server (samba). Dump gives you more flexability
with incremental backups. Where tar is just a full. I just do it all
every night with tar. I have several diffrent drives with diffrent mount
points you can back them all up with a single command line:

Example:

tar -cf - /export/proj /export/mishome | dd of=/dev/st1 obs=64

(the dd is just to get the correct block size to get max throughput on
our DLT80s. It's not needed, but significantly reduces backup time)

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 09:20, arctic 91 wrote:
> Hello,
>    Well since most of my testing is down for the migration to Samba off of Novell, one big question I have is for backups. We always use Tar on our unix web server. Is this going to server us well for a File server? I know through webmin it has a file system backup with dump, has anyone used that at all? The drives will have multiple mounts for the system, isn't it true with tar you need a seperate tape per mount? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>    Carl
>
> --
> dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
Justin Bennett
Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
Network Administrator