Samba Help

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 17:24:12 EDT 2002

Yep, this one makes perfect sense.  In Windows networking, user namespace and
machine namespace are the same. You cannot have a machine and a user with the
same name.  This is unfortunate but that's the way it works.  Win2k and NT4
will
probably give the same errors.  Remember that 98 is NOT a multiuser O/S and it
doesn't really log on to the domain.  It only uses the username and password
to attach shares.  In NT and 2k, you're actually logging on to the domain.

Try changing removing the machine names and usernames from the domain and
rename the machines so that your users and machines don't coincide.  I
suspect that your problems will go away at that point.

Cheers!

Bob
--- "Carl Yost Jr." <carlyos at Buffalo.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>    I am currently migrating my novell file server here to Samba. My 98 client
> machines can log into the domain no problem on the Samba box, but my 2000
> clients get " The account used is a computer account. Use your global user
> account or  local user account to access this server." Anyone ever see this
> before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Carl Yost Jr.
>  IS Director
>  Hamister Group of Companies

=====