New Box, Win, Linux

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 18 03:11:29 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Lawton" <green_man at bluefrognet.net>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:08 PM
Subject: New Box, Win, Linux

Hi All:
Sorry for the "double" post. if you look carefully at the first message,
I sent it last year [01]. CMOS battery is shot and I forgot to do a web
time update after I booted. I re-sent because I wasn't sure how major
domo would react to the date.
I have seen those MS expiry dates before, I think when I was
downloading some updates. They're somewhere right on MS.
The coal burner browses again ! Thank God for WinZip, MaxiDisk,
and floppies 50 for $10 at computer shows, because MS has pulled all
Win 95 updates. After a few weeks of digging and experimenting here's
what I found:
IE55 auto updated and MS tried to force feed IE6, which they specifically
warn you not to put in Win 95 [because it's like a Claymore Mine for an
alarm clock, wake up and buy XP !].
Machine locks up completely, some dlls are changed, others are
deleted. All Control Panel values are gone including Add/Rem Progs.

Version conflicts galore !
More Blue Screen than the Invisible Man !
"gibs" in system folder !

I found, in one of the several cat files that feed parameters to the
subroutines running in IE, the word obsolete several times. IE6 not only
does not support 95, it kicks the legs out from under it. Upside is I found
Opera.
It's a Win98 Se OEM cd, and it says I can install over 95 and keep
all my settings if I run setup from inside 95, so I might just install all
my
goodies and try that. The drive is already split in half - primay dos for
Windows and the other side unformatted so Linux can do whatever it
needs to. Hopefully, by the time 98se is dead in the water I'll be weaned
off windows anyway. I made a quatum leap from DOS 3 on a 286 to Win
95 on a 486. Linux on an Athlon looks like the next.
<---------------------------------------snip--------------------------------
---------------->
Sounds like you've gone through the same BS as me with MS and systems in
general.
Oh and it get better if Billy Boy has his way we all will never see an end
to it unless we totally wean off MS.
Only one problem. We may wean off his crap but what about the Business
World! Oh there now realizing that maybe
its time to look at something else? Oh look something called Linux. Oh now
we can't do that we would have to hire new personnel or retrain our staff.
Yes folks the business world is MS whipped!

Ron Maggio

Why
 It's
Never