New Box, Win, Linux

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Thu Jan 17 22:08:21 EST 2002

Hi All:
	Sorry for the "double" post. if you look carefully at the first message,
I sent it last year [01]. CMOS battery is shot and I forgot to do a web
time update after I booted. I re-sent because I wasn't sure how major
domo would react to the date.
	I have seen those MS expiry dates before, I think when I was
downloading some updates. They're somewhere right on MS.
	The coal burner browses again ! Thank God for WinZip, MaxiDisk,
and floppies 50 for $10 at computer shows, because MS has pulled all
Win 95 updates. After a few weeks of digging and experimenting here's
what I found:
IE55 auto updated and MS tried to force feed IE6, which they specifically
warn you not to put in Win 95 [because it's like a Claymore Mine for an
alarm clock, wake up and buy XP !].
Machine locks up completely, some dlls are changed, others are
deleted. All Control Panel values are gone including Add/Rem Progs.

Version conflicts galore !
More Blue Screen than the Invisible Man !
"gibs" in system folder !

	I found, in one of the several cat files that feed parameters to the
subroutines running in IE, the word obsolete several times. IE6 not only
does not support 95, it kicks the legs out from under it. Upside is I found
Opera.
	It's a Win98 Se OEM cd, and it says I can install over 95 and keep
all my settings if I run setup from inside 95, so I might just install all my
goodies and try that. The drive is already split in half - primay dos for
Windows and the other side unformatted so Linux can do whatever it
needs to. Hopefully, by the time 98se is dead in the water I'll be weaned
off windows anyway. I made a quatum leap from DOS 3 on a 286 to Win
95 on a 486. Linux on an Athlon looks like the next.

Why
 It's
Never
Dull