DEC ALPHA

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 19 10:15:54 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darin Perusich" <Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: DEC ALPHA

> your first scsi disk, sda should be large enough for /. i have a redhat
> 7.1 imap email server setup and the / filesystem is only using 130mb. if
> you break everthing up efficiently that should be plenty.
>
> here's what i would do.
>
> sda=528mb / (root filesystem, not to much should go here)
> sdb=4.3gig /usr (where all the apps will go)
> sdc=1.010gig /var (gives you plenty of space for logs)
> sdd=426mb <swap> (nice big swap space)

Thats fine since the ram is only 88mb

> sde=426mb /home (should? be plenty of room for home dirs)

It should be, I'm only using this system for dialup, but later on as a
lan server. What do you think? Big enough?
> <----------------------------------snip-------------------------------->

Ok but where should I put boot? and also should I make a 10mb dos
partition on sda to install MILO on in order to boot the (system) with doing
this
it would point to boot and load Linux?

> to me this would be a reasonable setup for a system. it's flexable
> enough to allow for the addition scsi storage (disk, cd, tape). in the
> event of a drive failure you would only lose that filesystem, you could
> then boot into rescue mode, off a cdrom or floppy and recover important
> files.
>
> as for you being able to access the drives it will be transparent to the
> user, the drives will be mounted on the appropriate directory.
>
> > All well and good to set the (Unknown)s to Linux native in diskdruid.
> > My only problem is to figure out what to put where! I have the following
> > disks to use for this system. sda=528mb, sdb=4.3gig, sdc=1.010gig,
sdd=426mb
> > and sde=426mb.
> > sda is in desktop not drive tower. All pinned in order 0 through 4 and
> > terminated.
> > Now sda is way to small to put / but large enough for boot, but as Bob
Meyer

<---------------------------------snip--------------------------------------

BSD
> > program
> > drive to
> > If
> > >
> > > fstab(5) is the filesystem table file, it contains info on how to
mount
> > > filesytems.

> > > --
> > > Darin Perusich