DEC ALPHA

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Feb 19 09:17:01 EST 2002

your first scsi disk, sda should be large enough for /. i have a redhat
7.1 imap email server setup and the / filesystem is only using 130mb. if
you break everthing up efficiently that should be plenty.

here's what i would do.

sda=528mb	/ 	(root filesystem, not to much should go here)
sdb=4.3gig	/usr	(where all the apps will go)
sdc=1.010gig	/var	(gives you plenty of space for logs)
sdd=426mb	<swap>	(nice big swap space)
sde=426mb	/home	(should? be plenty of room for home dirs)

to me this would be a reasonable setup for a system. it's flexable
enough to allow for the addition scsi storage (disk, cd, tape). in the
event of a drive failure you would only lose that filesystem, you could
then boot into rescue mode, off a cdrom or floppy and recover important
files.

as for you being able to access the drives it will be transparent to the
user, the drives will be mounted on the appropriate directory.

darinper at cognigencorp.com