Lan Party (Setup tips)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 11:18:00 EST 2002

I forgot just how fun LMCTF is!

Here are the setup tips.  Grab teh Q2 executable from ftp.idsoftware.com/unix.
the executables can be unpacked anywhere (/opt/q2 is good)
You can play Q2 then (I don't think you need any other data files (ie pak0) but
if you do then grab them from online as well.  Pak files are compressed data
files of maps and stuff, they can be copied fom windows and Linux back and
forth (see note below)

Once you have Q2 installed go to http://www.planetquake.com/lmctf/download.html
and grab the necessary files, the only difference between the windows and Unix
versions are windows are self-extracting executables and the lmctf456 download
actually tries to download a HUGE file bgmappak with tons of maps and stuff,
not needed, I just use the unix version and unzip in the Quake2 directory on a
windows box (If you are unfortunate enough to only have Quake2 on a windows
box) assuming Linux here you create a lmctf folder in your quake2 folder (ie
/opt/quake2/lmctf)  LMCTF stands for Loki's Minions Capture the Flag

Then copy the lm456 and and lm50 (and the 5.2 server if you want to run a
server) into lmctf and unzip each in order overwriting everything previous.

The help files are simpe and explain what to do to run a server.

Play Quake2 to practice, set up a server and run a client that you already have
the lmctf stuff on and try to use the off-hand grapple (read the help files)

GOod Luck see you all in Q2 land...

JJN