W2k Question

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Fri Dec 13 11:49:39 EST 2002

I am not a router guru, but you may want to look into changing the default
port for the router admin page if possible.  It would bother me greatly to
have my router admin page accessible from the outside anyway, as well as an
access list to control connections to said port.

With my coyote router, I have my web-server setup on a different external
port, redirecting to the actual web-server.  Since I don't run a publically
accessible website anyway, it works for me, in the URL, I just use
http://ip-addy:port#/dir/ to access my pages from outside my LAN.

On his internal network, edit the Hosts.sam file.. add the ip address and
name of his box that is serving the pages.. NOT the FQDN.. just hostname..
then he can hit the internal site with
http://hostname/dir/

IE.. my server is named bleys.. I will leave it to the readers to figure
out what series of books that name came from.. ;-)

In my Hosts.sam.. I have..
192.168.x.x     bleys
I can access my pages via
http://bleys/chaz/

Hope this helps ya out.

Chaz03

At 09:50 AM 12/13/02 -0500, you wrote:

>As usual, I can use a little pointing in the right direction for a w2k
>issue. My friend is running a netgear router on adelphia powerlink, your
>not supposed to host anything on powerlink, with that said, he wants to
>access port 80 on an internal linux box from outside. He has the port
>redirected and he can hit it fine from the outside. When he goes to
>connect from his w2k PC in his home network behind his router, dns lookup
>for his ods.org hostname gives him his 24.x.x.x adelphia address, and
>tries to connect to that, he winds up getting the login on the router
>admin page. Not his port 80 on his linux box. He can't seem to configure
>the router to allow this to pass through or turn off the web admin. I have
>a linux firewall, not a router, I have it allowing me to loop back in, so
>it works for me, he can't seem to get it to work with his router.
>What I suggested is to setup a host entry on the w2k client for his
>ODS.ORG hostname to his internal 192.168.120.40 address. Finally my
>question, I'm looking at his lmhosts file, how would I add an entry for:
>hostname.ods.org 192.168.120.40
>
>or would I do it in a different file?
>
>Thanks
>Justin
>
>--
>Justin Bennett
>Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
>Network Administrator
>Dynabrade Inc.
>8989 Sheridan Dr
>Clarence, NY 14031
>716-631-0100 ext 215

"If you want others to follow, give them leadership that they can believe in."