Linux Email Server

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed Aug 7 08:44:26 EDT 2002

setting up a email subsystem is not a trivial affair. unless there is an
existing infrasctucture, it may not be as easy as just setting up the
services on a machine.

before we go any further i do have a few questions.

do you want to setup a domain for yourself, lets say jacobstoll.com for
the sake of discussion and have all your email go there?

would it be acceptable to have messages go to an existing POP account at
your ISP, pull those message to your email machine, send email back
through your ISP?

as for the software to use...

for SMTP services there's the venerable sendmail. i've never used
anything other then sendmail so i don't feel that i'm qualified to
comment on the others. but i will say that my sendmail gateway has
uptime of 417 days.

to POP or to IMAP, which do you want to do? if you're going to go to the
trouble of hosting your own email i'd use imap. pop is easier to setup
but with imap your messages will be in a central location. you'll be
able to check your message from any machine with an email client.

for POP qpopper is a powerful solution if you have many pop users. if
it's just you the pop daemon that comes with mandrake should be fine.

for IMAP i like the Cyrus IMAPd, http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus. the other
solution is the WU IMAPd, http://www.washington.edu/imap.
http://www.imap.org/ has tons of information on imap. again i've never
used WU IMAPd so i can't really comment. Both are powerful solutions though.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
darinper at cognigencorp.com