Linux Email Server

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 08:33:33 EDT 2002

Well, Mandrake comes with sendmail or postfix.  Most of the time it will
install postfix 'cuz it's easier.  Remember, there is more than one piece
to the puzzle.  You need an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) and some way for
clients to read Email.  I typically use 'sendmail' as my MTA.  Some will
object violently and say to use 'qmail'.  Both work.  Mandrake also comes
with IMAP and POP servers.  That's how your clients read mail unless they're
logged in on the actual mail server, in which case they can use clients that
directly access the mail store.

Dropping the third party is probably a good thing.  A correctly set up mail
server requires virtually no maintenance.  I ran a two mail servers with
in excess of 6000 active accounts with less than an hour of maintenance a
week.

I could help you get it set up if you like...

Cheers!

Bob
--- Jacob Stoll <jstolly92 at netscape.net> wrote:
> Does any one know of a good free email server on mandrake linux 8.1 that
> requires almost no admistration to it and requires no almost knowlege of
> pop, imap etc. I am trying to drop my 3rd party email service because
> they basicly control everything.

> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Jacob Stoll - jstolly92 at netscape.net
> http://sycoris.homelinux.com