where is the new meeting place?

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 12 02:08:10 EDT 2002

On Friday 12 April 2002 12:05, you wrote:
> I wasn't asking why you considered it beneficial for offers, but why you
> personally find it easier that way.  So if I undertand you
> correctly, if you wanted to dual boot Win9x & WinXP, or Win2000 & BeOS,
> something non-Linux related, you'd encourage 1 OS per HD as well?

I think your getting off the track here. First off I stated that it might be
better to suggest to others that if they wanted to install multiable OS's
that one would have more than one way of installing them, and I have found
that its less confusing to some that as we all know not everyone is a guru.
When we install linux it names partitions in a different way then DOS does.
Lets say newbie that may not be aware of how in the heck to install
Linux that there are many way to approach this installation. Yes it does
sound a little out of the norm to use a drive for each OS to be installed.
But it is a lot more easier to allot a drive for each one than to play around
with partitioning a drive for dualbooting! I was only offering a suggestion
not a carved in stone opinion. I have smaller drives in my (older) units and
two systems dualboot with two drives. One for windows and another for linux.
I have an older system with Win NT workstation and Mandrake 8.0 and another
with Win 98 SE and RedHat 7.2 I found it a whole heck of allot easier to do
an install this way because if I messed up all I had to do was format the
drive with linux. The windows drive was left untouched, and if I needed to
get into it was do fdisk /mbr and be and do a linux install later I would be
in like flint to my windows drive. No problem doing this way. There are as I
said many ways to approach a dualboot installation this is one way that I
often suggest, but if someone has larger drives like 40 gigs or larger well
thats up to the user to pick and choose which way to go.