Tale of Woe

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Thu Apr 11 15:13:02 EDT 2002

Hey gang,

Would like to share a little (ok, not so little) story, and ask for a bit
of help from the group.
Here I am on a Friday night (Wednesday to the 'normal' world) and have my
server still making sick sounds due to a fan that is dying quickly.  Also
have great plans to install a shiny new 40GB HD to replace the nearly full
20GB hd in the server, so I get a 'great' idea.. let's take server down for
a short while, replace power supply, as I think this is where my ailing fan
lives.  And while we are at it we will put this nice new hd in and get it
up and running and transfer data from running hd over to the new hd.. swap
drives and test that server still comes up normally.  Doesn't sound too
unreasonable, right?

Ok, so now we have replaced p/s and put new hd as sec/slave.. cdrom is
sec/master, orig hd is still pri/master.  We boot up system, go into BIOS,
lo and behold, there is NO sec/slave drive.. just hangs BIOS.  So we hop
back on workstation, go out to www.fic.com.tw to see if there is an upgrade
that will allow this fine m/b (FIC PA2013) to see new hd.  There is, so we
download flash utility and make boot disk so that we can flash the BIOS,
not something I like to do on a normal basis, but desperate times call for
desperate measures.

So, we flash BIOS, while hearing the ailing fan start whining again, now
I'm getting agitated, but continue on nonetheless.
BIOS flash seems to go without a hitch, we reboot, and voila, there is now
a 40GB hd on sec/slave.  Ok we tell ourself, we are now in good shape.  So
we make sure our BIOS is setup fine, and during one of the shutdown
periods, we replace cpu fan.. no more whining, hey we are looking REAL good
now.

Ok, now we have new hd recognized, and no more whining, figure we are in
the home stretch here, this is where we trip on some bad juju, reboot
server, still running RH6.2 on it (I know,upgrade, but it has been running
faithfully for over 2 years, if it ain't broke ya know).. and we are
booting, and see disturbing news, #1 Linux does not see our new hd at all,
and #2 gives me squaks about cdrom being open, which it is not.  So, I
fiddle around with jumpers, and just put hd on sec/master, no cdrom.  Now
Linux sees new hd, but only see's it as an 8GB hd, and states funky stuff
about type of drive, and also states 'bad magic 0000000', so, here we are
with 32GB of wasted space, and bad magic running around.  Turds!!!

So, as a test, as I think maybe this old decrepit version of Linux will not
see the full HD, so we do more testing.  We now set new hd as pri/master,
put cdrom back on sec/master, throw in a 7.1 install disc, play with BIOS
again, and boot from cdrom, voila we now see a 40GB hd as hda.  Ok, so I
have successfully gotten to the root of my evils so to speak, and figure I
have gone far enough for one night (it is now 7:30AM, we get home @ 1:30AM
from work) so I figure, pull new hd out for now, set system back up as it
was, and will decide what new distro to load after a short nap.  Here is
where all of the bad juju catches up to me.  Have reset everything back to
original state, except for ailing/whining fan, boot up and only get
LI.  AARRGGHHHH!!!!

Ok, not so bad I tell myself, we do have a boot disk :-)  so I dutifully
put in boot disk, get system back up and running, figure running 'lilo'
again will set the MBR back to good proper order.  Reboot sytem w/out boot
disk, no go.. still only getting LI.  No matter what I do, I have even
reformatted the MBR, rebooted, reran lilo, and still it will not go into
second stage install.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions, aside from a quarter pound of C4, a 10
minute timer, and a short trip to the beer distributor???

Sorry about the length of this tale of woe, from a young man in Soutwestern NY.