FHS

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Apr 8 11:49:27 EDT 2002

Yeah, that's an excellent idea, and all the Distro's need to come to some agreement
on that pronto!  Although, as I understand it, the various flavors of Unix don't
agree eithre ...
Microsoft sort of tries to standardize the filesystem setup w/ the "Program Files"
folder in Win95.  It was always fun in the DOS world to try to remember what arcane
"8.3" format code a program setup would use! :-(  At least Linux allows more
descriptive names!

Another thing I'd like to see is a certain basic set of command line configuration
tools that's incluted in EVERY Linux Distro.  Such as "xf86config".  I installed,
sucessfully, Gentoo Linux this weekend, but I can't find the X-Windows
configruation tools.  Again, I'm not looking very hard, but I'd really like to see
certain tools agreed upon as standards that you can use to configure a basic setup
from the command line.  After all, X-Windows is a GUI that sits over top of the
basic system, unlike Windows, it's NOT the system, and you can totally ignore X-
Windows and still have a very productive machine using text editors, word
processors, email programs and web browsers that run very happily and effectively
from the command line.

Now I'm straying too far.  Thanks for the explaination!

-Greg