Gentoo Linux

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Thu Apr 4 10:57:37 EST 2002

Well, "just for fun", I decided to try to install Gentoo Linux last night, got the
iso's but decided to do the "from scratch" method.  Sure wish it had a kernel that
would recognize dual processors!   I also wouldn't recommend it w/o a high speed
connection!  The easiest way to install is to run the install in one console and
<Alt><Fx> to another console to "less" the install.txt and follow along.  Even I
was able to do it, but it was LONG!  I gave up, monstly cause I needed the computer
for other things.  It probably goes faster if I just took the stuff from the CD.
The installation is >NOT< for somebody expecting / wanting Mandrake or RedHat type
install.  Just about any distro you can name is more "newbie friendly"!  8-O  But
... documentation (install.txt) is pretty good, and once the process starts, it
goes pretty smoothly.  It uses the SysV init setup, which I persoanlly don't like -
(Slackware Rulz! ;-) ).  I haven't tried Linux From Scratch, so I can't compare
that.  FWIW, just some first impressions.
-Greg