Kernel Panic

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Mon Apr 1 21:00:38 EST 2002

On 29 Mar 2002, at 15:24, Cyber Source wrote:

> You can use the Mandrake CD to boot to rescue (f1), then you can
> simulate your system by "chroot /mnt" but before you do that, take a
> look at your partitions by "cfdisk /dev/hd?" with the question mark
> being your drive letter. Once you know that they are all ok, you can
> then check your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab files, they will be under
> /mnt/etc/fstab and /mnt/etc/mtab respectively using the restore process.
> That should get you off to a good start. peter at thecybersource.com

fdisk /dev/hda
partitions appeared to be OK.

a tail of /mnt/etc/log/syslog  yielded the line-
MAR 28 15:17:57 Printerdrake PID 3012
the moment disaster struck.

ls -al of /mnt/etc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   704 MAR 12 16:50 fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1756 MAR 23 18:26 inittab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   534 MAR 28 20:13 mtab

less of /etc/mtab
/dev/hda7/mnt ext2 rw 00     [this should be my linux root]
/dev/hda11/mnt/home ext2 rw 00
/dev/hda9/mnt/usr ext2 rw 00
/dev/hda10/mnt/var ext2 rw 00

Then I tried chroot /mnt from the root@ rescue prompt, but got
Permission Denied.
How does ROOT get DENIED PERMISSION ?????

PS- Sorry, Darin, I was reading personal mail and forgot to change
identities before opening my nflug inbox. Wrong reply settings and
all that.

Scott

Registered Linux User 261118