Another reason to keep trying

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 12:36:50 EST 2002

I was at the end of my rope this weekend.  My Adelphia Cable was mostly dead
all weekend (the slightly alive was for only a few minutes each day) and I
locked up my gaming PC nad was unable to connect to my server as myself (via
NFS and autofs).

I was able to log in as myself local to the server using NIS and autofs there
but I kept getting RPC NFS mount time out errors when trying to automount the
Home/jjneff directory from the remote (game ) machine.

I was about to format and reinstall 8.2 from scratch when I decided to go ahead
and try a few things , I "telinit"'d to 3 then I ssh'd to zeus (my server) and
checked the auto.master, I forgot I had tried adding an  rsize and wsize of
8192 to speed up NFS under 8.1.  I removed those and restarted autofs.  I
forgot to "make all" my NIS maps so I was still not getting on on my game
machine.  Luckily I remebered that before grabbing my 8.2 cds and formatting.
I ran make in /var/yp and then telinit'd to 5.  I was able to logon fast.  No
formatting, no rebooting. Man I do like this durned Linux stuff!

I may have had some other issues but those will have to be searched out one at
a time.  I also saw what a helpful thing "tail -f /var/log/messages" is when
trying to find a problem.  I also saw a bunch of SUID errors about someone
possibly changing SUID executables since the md5 sum had changed (a cron job I
think) but they looked like video stuff.  I'll have to dig it out and get the
experts to give some explanation on it.

Hope someone learns something from this and if not at least take away "you
don't have to format Linux to solve a connection problem!"

John J. Neff