Yahoo! News - Eric Raymond: Linux will rule the desktop

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Apr 1 11:13:31 EST 2002

Mac never made it because they never opened up the Mac hardware architecture the
way IBM did w/ the ISA stantard.  That's the only reason they lost.  It's a
Microsoft world simply because it's what IBM shipped on the original PC's and Bill
was savvy enough to get licensing agreements w/ all the other major OEM's.  Mac's
were several times as expensive and you had a tiny B&W screen compared to the
"wonderful" 16 color 12" EGA IBM introduced that same year!  You could buy several
complete IBM clones, EGA monitors and all, for what it would cost you for one Mac
and the "add on" color monitor.  Apple aimed at the CEO's for ease of use, etc.,
but missed the boat because CEO's weren't going to be the primary users.  All the
hype about Microsoft starting the PC revolution sometimes infuriates me!  If IBM
has charged for the licensing of the ISA, we'd be using something else ... whatever
came up w/ a free/very low cost license for it's computer architecture!  Good thing
Big Blue was so clueless about the possibilites when they first started all this
and regarded the personal PC market as going nowhere, but something where IBM
needed to have a presence to facilitat 'big iron" sales!

Just my $.02.  Microsoft was never inovative, just clever w/ licensing schemes!
-Greg