sendmail question

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 15:00:25 EDT 2001

Yep, you're making a big assumption.  That kind of thing doesn't happen in any
of the Unix enterprise environments that I've been in.  The mail comes in to
the SMTP server directly and the SMTP server does everything (including
scanning for MS viruses if you get one of the filtering packages).  I generally
think of a firewall as more or less a router with packet filtering (yes, I know
it's a bit more complicated than that) and doing more processing than that
generally slows the whole mess down.

Generally, the filter either sits in front of the SMTP daemon or (most likely)
is attached at the hip with the SMTP server and becomes part of the incoming
mail processing.  For instance, several of the MS virus filtering programs for
Linux/Unix (it's fun trying to explain this concept to an MS person) are
invoked from one of the sendmail rules as part of the normal processing.  You
can do recipient/spam filtering in 'procmail' by simply making a change to one
of the sendmail rules and invoking a procmail filtering program as part of the
normal incoming message processing.  I'm not as familiar with 'qmail' but I
imagine that it's pretty much the same there.

later...

Bob

=====
Bob Meyer