Meeting notes and ideas

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 14:52:01 EDT 2001

Thanks to all who helped make this last meeting one of the most enjoyable we've
had in some time.  Your willingness to jump right in and do some stuff and
flexibility in room changes was key to its success.

I will quickly run down (over) some points I recall and let y'all take it from
there with responses, ideas, etc.

We discussed using xhost and how to run an xwindow app fom another PC to your
own. This was VERY cool.  I found this link regarding security and Xhost stuff
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps.html.

This leads right into Security (doesn't everything:-)

Here is a plan for the next few meetings:
Nov - Security (esp SSH) please read up on MAN SSH and How-to's and bring
questions. (Bob M.)
Dec - (Dec is always a little tricky with Solstice and all but we will schedule
it more for ideas than for an exact date!)  My-SQL and how to use PHP on YOUR
webpage. (Frank P)
Jan - How to uninstall XP SP3 (just kidding!!!) Open for ideas.

AS I see it the format we fell into seemed to work.  1-2:30 for setup, intros,
gabbing, hacking, burning (remember we exist as a group 1st to help new people
use/switch to Linux!) then 2:30 or 3 we have a 1/2 - 1 hour presentation on a
pre-chosen topic (that way people can have started reading up on it and get
more involved with questions, ideas, suggestions etc.)  Then wrap up and leave,
mess with stuff some more.

The room changes we had at the start of the meeting was due to the very fluid
(and cheep) environment we are in.  We do not officially pay for the room or
have rights (or keys).  We use it due to the fact that our sponsor is a tenant
in the building.  We have been pre-empted by Lawyers meetings and locked doors
before.  This raises the question of meeting rooms. My concern is as we grow
and try to expand our membership, we may have 50 people milling in the hall
with the doors locked.  Scheduling any type of "official" speaker will be nigh
impossible withot good logistics.

Anyone with alternate ideas about where to meet or how to approach this
subject?  Please if you have an idea feel free to pursue it and send results to
the list. Prerequisites are 1)easy to get to  2) Open access at times we need
it 3) Internet access.  ALthough as last week showed with enough computers and
hubs and disk burners we are our own best resource!

Keep the ideas comingand next time bring a date, friend, sister, brother,
co-worker - you know they need Linux :-)

JJN

PS all mispellings my own0- u know what I mean even if i can't type !