Thoughts for the meeting

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Oct 17 10:54:21 EDT 2001

> The slave server answers the question of password syncing (I'm thinking PDC -
> BDC right?)

Not password syncing, but account info.  NIS has a series of different
functions, but in regards to passwds, it contains entire passwd file
entries, although it can contain shadow file entries as well.

> But I think what you are inferring is that if I log on as a seperate user and
> want all the same program settings I need to somehow copy the .* files from all
> the apps I use as an NIS user to the ~/ of the user I log on as when not
> connected right?

I discussed this further in an email I sent out, but then I realized that
I sent it to Bob's yahoo account by accident instead of the nflug list.

The problem as I understand it is this:

On the network, your $HOME is on a remote machine.  If you logon to a
machine (no matter which machine), your $HOME directory is mounted from
this remote machine, and everythign appears local to you.

Off the network, you have to physical access to your $HOME.  So how do you
get & maintain the files?

You go back onto the network, and your $HOME is restored to the remote
machine.  How do you sync the files so that you keep the updated ones?
And what do you do with the $HOME you had when your machine (laptop in
this case) was not connected.

Some interesting food for thought.

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.