multiple port network cards

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Oct 16 09:00:12 EDT 2001

I'm not sure if you want the specs on this, but it's a 32bit PCI card.
4-port Ethernet card:

http://www.intraserver-store.com/intraserver/it32bit10qua.html

It's a tad pricey though, $560

You might be better to just purchase an 8-port Linksys DSL/Cable modem
Router.  Not exactly what you're looking for, but within decent price
range, and should provide the functions that you need.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=155&grid=5

It's ~$150 street price.

-Rob

> Has anyone out there seen/worked with 4+ port network cards?  I am
> endeavoring to put together a router for my office, and I don't particularly
> want to spend $1400 for a 4 port module for a cisco box.
>
> I think this crowd might know what I have in mind.
>
> at www.netseller.com, there are some 'off lease' boxes at pretty reasonable
> prices.  The problem is that those things will only have 1-3 slots for pci
> cards. The solution should be a multiport network card.
>
> Does such a beast exist?  What brand/model?  Are they supported in any linux
> distrubution? Are they cheap? (actually, i can figure the last part out.)
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Richard Hubbard
> Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
> MCT, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD,CLP, CLI, A+, Net+
> I-Net+, LCP, LCI
> office : 716-681-8500 office
>

> fight inflation, repeal boyle's law...

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.