NIS - Bug or dispicable feature?

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Nov 26 13:03:51 EST 2001

I created a netgroup on my NIS Master server.  I want to assign that
Netgroup to a certain machine, but I want all the users to have the same
gid on this particular machine.  So I added the following line to my
/etc/passwd file:

+ at PPTP:::850::/:

But for some reason, when a user in that Netgroup logs in, he maintains
the NIS gid entry, and not the 850 that I want to override.  The odd thing
is that $HOME for all the users changed to / as expected.

I'm running Redhat 6.2 with no significant updated rpm's.  Does anybody
have any info on this?

--

-Rob