Maximum number of Files for an EXT2 partition

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 10:15:11 EDT 2001

well, if you run 'df -i' it will give you the current stats on inodes (one
inode to a file).  If you get a 0 free message, then you're out of them :-)

When you build a file system, you can tune the parameters, depending on what
you're trying to do with the file system.  There are default numbers based on
size of the partition that it will use.  Check the man page for 'mke2fs'.  My
recommendation would be to back up the data, unmount the file system, run
'mke2fs' with either the '-i' bytes per inode flag or a '-N' to set the actual,
rather than a ratio.  The man page says that it's not good practice to make the
ratio less than one inode per disk block because you will be wasting inode
table space.  If you're making zero length files, obviously, this rule may not
apply.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
Bob

--- "Bradley J. Bartram" <bradbartram at wycol.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anybody on the list know what the maximum number of files that can be on
> a single ext2 partition is?
>
> I have a web server that gets a strange error.  I have a smallish (8GB) hd
> divided into 3 partitions (/, /boot, /usr).  The apache root is on "/" under
> "/home/httpd/html".  Under html, I have several directories and one directory
> containing about 1600 subdirectories.  Each Sub directory has 2 sub
> directories and about 90 files per directory.  All in all there are about
> 288000 files in this directory.  About 3200 new files are created everyday.
>
> At some point, and I'm not quite sure when, this server reports "no room left
> on disk".  Running "df" shows plenty of free space on all partitions so I'm
> lead to believe that I'm pushing the limits of the filesystem.  What do you
> think?
>
> Unfortunately, this server was pressed into duty and is obviously not
> configured for optimal efficiency.  Not to mention, the method of file
> delivery that generates these static files could and is being improved.  I
> would just like to know so I can plan on filling up the filesystem or
> whatever and also so I know the next time.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brad

=====
Bob Meyer