Maximum number of Files for an EXT2 partition

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.net
Thu May 24 21:18:19 EDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C0E497.0E03D260

Hello everyone,

Does anybody on the list know what the maximum number of files that can =
be on a single ext2 partition is?

I have a web server that gets a strange error.  I have a smallish (8GB) =
hd divided into 3 partitions (/, /boot, /usr).  The apache root is on =
"/" under "/home/httpd/html".  Under html, I have several directories =
and one directory containing about 1600 subdirectories.  Each Sub =
directory has 2 sub directories and about 90 files per directory.  All =
in all there are about 288000 files in this directory.  About 3200 new =
files are created everyday.

At some point, and I'm not quite sure when, this server reports "no room =
left on disk".  Running "df" shows plenty of free space on all =
partitions so I'm lead to believe that I'm pushing the limits of the =
filesystem.  What do you think?

Unfortunately, this server was pressed into duty and is obviously not =
configured for optimal efficiency.  Not to mention, the method of file =
delivery that generates these static files could and is being improved.  =
I would just like to know so I can plan on filling up the filesystem or =
whatever and also so I know the next time.

Thanks.

Brad

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C0E497.0E03D260

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anybody on the list know what the =
maximum=20
number of files that can be on a single ext2 partition is?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a web server that gets a strange =

error.&nbsp; I have a smallish (8GB) hd divided into 3 partitions (/, =
/boot,=20
/usr).&nbsp; The apache root is on "/" under "/home/httpd/html".&nbsp; =
Under=20
html, I have several directories and one directory containing about 1600 =

subdirectories.&nbsp; Each Sub directory has 2 sub directories and about =
90=20
files per directory.&nbsp; All in all there are about 288000 files in =
this=20
directory.&nbsp; About 3200 new files are created everyday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At some point, and I'm not quite sure =
when, this=20
server reports "no room left on disk".&nbsp; Running "df" shows plenty =
of free=20
space on all partitions so I'm lead to believe that I'm pushing the =
limits of=20
the filesystem.&nbsp; What do you think?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unfortunately, this server was pressed =
into duty=20
and is obviously not configured for optimal efficiency.&nbsp; Not to =
mention,=20
the method of file delivery that generates these static files =
could&nbsp;and is=20
being improved.&nbsp; I would just like to know so I can plan on filling =
up the=20
filesystem or whatever and also so I know the next time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brad</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C0E497.0E03D260--