Large Drives

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Tue Jul 10 11:03:10 EDT 2001

Nothing scientific here at all, but ...  I have a Maxtor SCSI in constant
service since '94. I've also had to send back two WD's less than one year
old.  One Maxtor, too.  As a long time Byte reader, I've been keeping up
w/ Chaos Manor website, and Jerry Pournelle has shifted from WD to Maxtor
in the last 9 months.  Said that he's found the tables totally reversed
to the point that he no longer puts WD's in anything important.  Myself,
I'm very leery of these "multiple-of-10-gig" drives.  It just seems
they're pushing the envelope really fast.  I could be wrong, and I'm
certainly no expert, but the jump from 6-10 gig to 20-40+ gig seemed way
to fast compared to the earlier drive size jumps, and the move to 3.5"
platters for "super-sized-drives" makes me pause, too.
I keep the home Window$ box confined to 8 gig on a 15 gig.  Linux gets
the rest, and if anybody needs room on the VFAT, delete "temporary
internet files" , mp3's or remove a disk-hogging game! (But don't touch
my Diablo II! ;-) )  Seems to work.

-Greg