Time on Linux and Meeting stuff

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 08:32:38 EDT 2001

>>From what I can recall Time can be annoying on a Linux box becausue it handles
it differently than we are used to seeing in the Winders world (for those who
don't remember I gained most of my experience in the south thus 'Winders')

Winders sets the hardware clock to whatever local time is, whereas Linux
assumes that the hardware clock is set to GMT and uses a file
/usr/lib/timezone
to set the system time to local (ie GMT + 5)

This makes it tought to keep the time straight because if you manually set the
time and have a slightly off region set the time will change upon reboot.  Also
setting the hardware clock to local time and the system time to local will
cause the time to change upon restart if the region is set.

The tools mentioned hwtosys does just that - takes whatever time is on the HW
clock and makes the sys clock match but there is the converse systohw(these are
cmd line switches to HWCLOCK which sets the Hardware clock) that allows one to
set the sys time (with something like 'date'<- sets system time not hwtime) and
then set the HW time to that (like a winders box).  This info is a bit outdated
(1.5 years ago on debian box) and may be change dramatically on the new distros
(that probably just set system to hw as a matter fo course to avoid confusion.
I saw no mention of GMT installing Mandrake 8.0

Please check the man page for HWCLOCK for a better explanation - I ended up
using NTPDATE when I had a cable modem since I also had a bad Mainboard that
forgot the time when rebooted:-)  This MAN page gives a GREAT explanation for
clocks and also explains why a dual boot system may have fighting clocks (VFAT
uses HW Clock which may get changed by Linux)  Read it -all will be made
clear...

THere is a meeting scheduled this Sunday (it comes fast when the first day of
the month is sat or sunday).  Possible topics include...
" what I am doing for my summer break"

"Where I can get a free 64MB AGP video card so I can play NOLF"

"how much wood has that woodchuck chucked?"

See y'all there.