Linux Kernel 2.4.16 "make dep" error

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Dec 10 10:23:46 EST 2001

Weell, silly me!  I read the README with the warnings about unpacking the
files somewhere other than /usr/src!  I bet if i move the stuff back to
/usr/src the the whole problem will go away.
And once again, I wont' make the meeting!  I'll be racing back from St.
Mary's College in Indiana w/ the 2nd daughter for Christmas break.
Anybody know at what point kids become "low maintenance"? ;-)  (I suspect
NEVER!)

Thanks for all the help!  Maybe I'll make the January meeting?

-Greg

On 12/10/01, 06:54:04, "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at localnet.com>
wrote regarding Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.16 "make dep" error:

> Gregory J.Neumann wrote:

> >Sorry, I use Linux and don't know "C".
> >
> >Anyway, I'm playing w/ the new 2.4.16 kernel, downladed it and unpacked
> >it FAR away from the /usr/src/ dir (/root).
> >"make mrproper" -fine
> >"make menuconfig" -fine (so I'm a weenie!  I like the help notes!;-) )
> >"make dep"
> >and it dies w/ an "error1".  I can't figure out what that means.  Can
> >anybody help?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Greg
> >

> I just installed the 2.4.16 kernel about a week ago without a single
> problem and this is how I did it:
>     downloaded tarball linux-2.4.16.tar.gz
>     cd /usr/src
>     md linux-2.4.16
>     mv ~/linux-2.4.16.tar.gz /usr/src/linux-2.4.16
>     cd linux-2.4.16
>     tar -xzvf linux-2.4.16.tar.gz
>     cd linux
>     make xconfig                            # I like the graphical
> version it allows me to back track and make changes anywhere
>     make dep
>     make clean
>     make bzImage
>     make modules
>     make modules install
> Then I edited /etc/lilo.conf            #since I'm now using the
> graphical Lilo    Then I ran :
>     /sbin/lilo
>  I have never needed to use  "make mrproper"  however a look at my
> Makefile shows that it removes files and directories. Are you conpiling
> for a different machine? If not try "make clean" instead of "make
mrproper".