Linux Kernel 2.4.16 "make dep" error

Robert F. Stockdale IV javabob at localnet.com
Mon Dec 10 06:54:04 EST 2001

Gregory J.Neumann wrote:

>Sorry, I use Linux and don't know "C".
>
>Anyway, I'm playing w/ the new 2.4.16 kernel, downladed it and unpacked
>it FAR away from the /usr/src/ dir (/root).
>"make mrproper" -fine
>"make menuconfig" -fine (so I'm a weenie!  I like the help notes!;-) )
>"make dep"
>and it dies w/ an "error1".  I can't figure out what that means.  Can
>anybody help?
>
>Thanks,
>Greg

I just installed the 2.4.16 kernel about a week ago without a single
problem and this is how I did it:
    downloaded tarball linux-2.4.16.tar.gz
    cd /usr/src
    md linux-2.4.16
    mv ~/linux-2.4.16.tar.gz /usr/src/linux-2.4.16
    cd linux-2.4.16
    tar -xzvf linux-2.4.16.tar.gz
    cd linux
    make xconfig                            # I like the graphical
version it allows me to back track and make changes anywhere
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules install
Then I edited /etc/lilo.conf            #since I'm now using the
graphical Lilo    Then I ran :
    /sbin/lilo
 I have never needed to use  "make mrproper"  however a look at my
Makefile shows that it removes files and directories. Are you conpiling
for a different machine? If not try "make clean" instead of "make mrproper".

Just my 2 cents.
Bob Stockdale